Home Safety Tips For The Holidays
November and December are among the busiest travel months of the year. Whether you’re heading across country or just down the road to celebrate the holidays with loved ones, it’s important to factor home security into your travel plans.
If you’re leaving home for an extended period of time, Priority One suggests the following holiday safety tips for your home:
- Install or activate timed lighting: Set a couple exterior and interior lights up to turn on around 6 p.m. to give the appearance that someone is home (You can also set a timer on your holiday lights inside and outside!). We also recommend activating any motion-sensor lights.
- Put all valuables in the safe (If you haven’t already): Keep all valuable items and important documents in a safe – preferably a fireproof and permanent safe.
- Leave a car in the driveway: To deter burglars, you may want to leave one of your cars in the driveway. Ensure all valuables are safely stored inside, and your car is locked before you head out of town.
- Ask a neighbor to check in: Ask a family member or friend to keep an eye on your house and collect your mail regularly.
- Limit social media posts about vacation: Ensure your privacy settings for pictures and posts are set to family and friends only so you don’t unconsciously give the all-clear to potential mischief makers.
Of course, the best way to keep your home protected while you’re traveling is to have a state of the art home security system with 24/7 monitoring installed by a reputable and experienced home security company like Priority One Security.
Wherever you’re spending this holiday season, Priority One Security wishes you a safe and happy holidays with loved ones!