Fall Fire & Life Safety Tips
Keep Warm – and Safe – This Fall
In honor of National Fire Prevention Month, Priority One Security has fire and life safety tips and information to keep in mind as we head into the cooler months of the year. This awareness month dates back to the Great Chicago Fire of 1871 and is a time where homeowners can review current fire prevention measure to ensure your dwelling is safe!
- Ensure all combustible materials are properly stored. Seal all combustible materials, like paint cans, and store away from heat sources, which include furnaces, heaters and tin sheds.
- Create a fire evacuation plan. Discuss the plan with your family, practice the plan, and review it regularly.
- If you have a wood-burning fireplace, contact your local, licensed chimney sweep for periodic inspections and cleanings. This should be done annually at a minimum.
- If you have a gas log fireplace, ensure your carbon monoxide detectors are working properly. Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and tasteless gas, so detection is impossible without a proper system.
- Hire a licensed electrician to perform necessary maintenance work. If you must do the electrical work yourself, do comprehensive research to complete the work properly. Don’t forget to review safety and building codes for your area.
- Test ALL Smoke Detectors: Test all smoke, CO2 detectors and your alarm system on a monthly basis.
Fire and Safety Protection Solutions
Did you know that all new build residential homes are required to include builder-grade smoke detectors? Smoke detectors are also required in every bedroom in your home. It is important to note a smoke detector only alerts you to a problem; a monitored smoke detector, however, can alert proper authorities (like the fire department) in the event you are unable, or not at home, to do so.
A properly installed life safety system includes monitored bedroom smoke detectors and monitored smoke detectors in other common areas. Your life safety system should also include heat stat sensors in the attic, crawl spaces and kitchen.
Priority One Security offers fire and life safety strategies to protect your home and loved ones. Our 24 hour/7 days a week a week monitoring will give you peace of mind, especially as we move into cooler weather months where you may be using your fireplace more than usual. Give us a call to find a monitoring and safety solution best fit to your home’s needs!